Purchasing Non-Medical Cannabis Products in Victoria
Non-medical cannabis is now legal in Canada. Here is some basic information on cannabis use in British Columbia. For more details and information you should check the Province of British Columbia’s website at : Cannabis BC
What Is Legal?
There are strict laws and regulations around the legalization of non-medical cannabis.
Medical cannabis is within the responsibility of Health Canada. To find out more, go to Health Canada.
You must be 19 years or older to buy, use, possess, or grow non-medical cannabis in B.C. This includes:
Edibles, topicals, extract
Edible cannabis, such as baked goods and beverages;
Cannabis extracts, such as vaping liquids, tinctures, wax, hash and cannabis oil; and
Cannabis topicals, such as creams, lotions and balms, and similar products that are meant to be applied to a person’s skin, hair or nails
To protect your health, keep young people safe and help prevent crime in the community, non-medical cannabis is sold exclusively at government-run stores, licensed private retailers, and the B.C. government’s online store.
The BC Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) operates public retail stores and the online store. The list of public retail stores, is be available on the BC Cannabis Stores website. Online sales are available only through the BC government online store. Private retail stores cannot offer online sales and delivery services for non-medical cannabis are not permitted.
All legal non-medical cannabis has an excise stamp attached to its packaging. Federally-licensed producers and processors apply the appropriate excise tax stamp British Columbia. If the product does not have a British Columbia stamp it is not legal for sale in B.C. Each province and territory has a different coloured cannabis excise stamp for products sold in their jurisdiction.
Adults 19+ can carry up to 30 grams of dried non-medical cannabis, or its equivalent, in a public place. In addition, adults cannot possess any more than 1,000 grams of dried non-medical cannabis, or its equivalent, in a non-public place, such as at your home. This limit is per household and is based on the expected yield from four cannabis plants.
Adults 19+ can generally smoke or vape cannabis in public spaces where tobacco smoking and vaping are allowed. (See our post on Smoking in Victoria). But remember, second-hand smoke can be harmful and irritating to people, especially children, so be mindful when smoking in public spaces.
Smoking and vaping cannabis are not allowed in the following public places:
- Public buildings, workplaces, or common areas of apartments, condos, or dormitories, and within six metres of air intakes, windows, and doorways attached to these places.
- Within six metres of bus stops, transit shelters, train stations, ferry docks and similar places
Regional and municipal parks, except for designated campsite
- Provincial parks, except for areas identified or designated
- Public patios
- Health board properties, except in designated smoking areas
- Registered hotel guests may smoke or vape cannabis in their hotel room if the hotel allows it.
- Community care facilities, assisted living residences, and hospitals may designate specific rooms in which residents or patients can smoke or vape cannabis.
- Non-medical cannabis consumption (in all forms) is banned on K-12 school properties, as well as any adjacent sidewalks or boulevards. It’s also illegal for both driver and passenger(s) to consume non-medical cannabis in a car.
- Local and Indigenous governments can set additional restrictions on public use of non-medical cannabis under existing powers to establish bylaws.
Vehicles and Boats
- Non-medical cannabis consumption is generally not allowed in vehicles whether they are parked or moving, but there are some exceptions to this rule.
- It can be used in motorhomes or other motor vehicles, or campers, or trailers when being used as a private residence and parked off a public road or forest service road where camping is allowed.
- Cannabis can be transported in a vehicle as long as it’s in its original, unopened packaging, or is inaccessible to the driver and occupants (for example, in the trunk). In addition, a maximum of four non-medical cannabis plants can be transported in a vehicle, but they cannot be budding or flowering.
- Non-medical cannabis use is generally not allowed on boats. However, you are allowed to use non-medical cannabis on a boat that is moored or anchored if it has sleeping accommodations, a kitchen and a toilet.
- Non-medical cannabis use is allowed in a private cabin on a commercially operated boat if the operator allows it.
Medical Cannabis Exemptions
There are exemptions for use of Health Canada authorized medical cannabis on school property and on inter-city buses, trains and boats as long as specific requirements are met.
There are strict rules and regulations around traveling with cannabis. Before you travel with cannabis, get informed.
- It’s illegal to transport cannabis across the Canadian border. It doesn’t matter whether you’re leaving or entering Canada, or what the laws of your destination are. Bottom line: do not cross the border with cannabis.
- The Government of Canada has important information you’ll need to know before traveling with cannabis. Check out this video to learn more.
Travelling Between Provinces
- Cannabis laws are different between provinces and territories. This includes legal age, where you can smoke or vape, consume, and buy cannabis. Make sure to learn the laws before you travel.
- Flying with cannabis
The federal government regulates all air travel in Canada. Please see the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) guidelines for transportation of cannabis. CATSA Cannabis Guidelines
BC Online Cannabis Sales
Website: BC Online Cannabis Sales
Cannabis Shops in Victoria
2641 Quadra St,
1-603 Gorge Rd East
855 Johnson St
Unit 105 – 693 Hoffman Ave – Langford
Cloud Nine Collective Victoria
778 Fort St.
Five Star Medicinal Dispensary
2622 Douglas St
619 Johnson St
National Access Cannabis Medical
2571 Quadra St
The Original FARM – Victoria, Hillside
3055 A Scott St.
The Original FARM – Victoria, Downtown
1402 Douglas St
Ocean Grown Medicinal Society
1725 Cook St
Pineapple Express Dispensary
608 Esquimalt Rd
Trees ~ Island Grown
546 Yates St
Urban Earth Med (Medical Cannabis Dispensary)
2020 Douglas St
Victoria Cannabis Buyers Club
826 Johnson St
Leave A Comment