Victoria is a beautiful place and walking or driving around can certainly give you a flavor of the city. But sometimes it’s nice to get up high and get a larger view! Here’s some spots that I love:
- Mt. Tolmie – Elevation 120 metres
- Mt. Doug – Elevation 225 metres
- Mt. Finlayson – Elevation 419 metres
- Gonzales Hill – Elevation 66 metres
- Mt. Newton – Elevation 305 metres
- Ok … I couldn’t stop at 5. This one is too good! Observatory Hill at the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory.
Some of these you can drive right up to – some require a hike. Here’s a description:
A paved road winds upward from Cedar Hill Cross Rd. and Richmond Road to a parking area at the 120 metre summit of Mount Tolmie and one of the best – and breeziest – views of the city. Trails meander through the Garry oaks and arbutus meadows around the summit. Wildflower viewing in the spring and blackberry picking in the late summer.