Driving information in Victoria including speed limits and regulations:
Speed Limits on Vancouver Island are posted in kilometers an hour.
APPROXIMATE DRIVING SPEED CONVERSIONS:
30 km/hr = 20 mph
40 km/hr = 25 mph
50 km/hr = 30 mph
60 km/hr = 40 mph
80 km/hr = 50 mph
100 km/hr = 60 mph
120 km/hr = 75 mph ( you won’t see this one much!)
- It is mandatory to use vehicle seatbelts and for cyclists and motorcyclists to wear helmets.
- It is illegal to use a hand-held device such as a cell phone while driving.
- Pedestrians have the right-of-way at crosswalks.
- You must pull over to the side of the road when safe to do so when an emergency vehicle with it’s lights flashing approches you. (except on divided highways with a median the middle and the emergency vehicle is on the opposite side.)
- You must keep right except to pass on multiple lane highways. (exceptions are – when making a left-hand turn, when going around an obstruction, when approaching an emergency vehicle on the side of the road)
Click HERE for a file containing all the road signs and road markings in British Columbia.